Why I Do This Work?
I have been mediating, arbitrating and representing clients for the past 30 years. I have worked in diverse settings from high conflict family disputes to large dollar volume complex commercial matters. I have travelled across the US having the great privilege of settling intractable disputes and after all this work I have found that my true passion is working with individuals and families facing deep challenges involving most all family matters. My skills as a keen listener and strategic planner combined with my knowledge of the law serves as a valuable resource in resolving my client’s needs.
Legal Mediation Arbitration Experience
I have mediated hundreds of divorce cases across the Washington DC and Maryland regions. These matters have involved individuals from all walks of life from executives at the World Bank, the Department of Defense, doctors, lawyers, architects, LGBTQ, straight, religious/orthodox, international, out of state, home makers, state/federal employees. I have learned that no two cases are alike and by working together with my clients we are able to derive the best solutions possible for any given situation. I have served as a mediator and arbitrator for the past five years on behalf of the September 11, 2001, Victim Compensation Fund.
This work has touched me in profound ways. I will always remain in awe over the courage and spirit of the First Responders and everyone who participated in the rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center.
- Represented a Bronze Medal Purple Heart US Naval Commander in a law suit against the US Navy for discrimination based on his mental health disabilities caused by a traumatic brain injury. This matter resolved successfully on behalf of the client
- Mediated a dispute involving a Commercial office park valued at $40M where a father and mother transferred ownership 50–50 to their two sons. As the business grew and succeeded, the brothers grew apart in their approach and philosophy for managing the office park Working closely with estates and trusts experts, dealing with the interpersonal dynamics and devising a transfer of assets/sale, a settlement was worked out.
- Served as a mediator in a dispute involving the Navajo Nation and Tucson Electric Co., involving a matter over a solar array being installed on the reservation and interruptible concerns by the utility. This matter resolved.
- Mediated an international divorce matter involving a child custody and visitation disputes. This matter settled in everyone’s interest.
- Mediated complex commercial, environmental, public policy, and energy disputes across the US, while serving on the American Arbitration Association and the International Center for Conflict Prevention and Resolution’s panel of arbitrators and mediators.
- Mediated hundreds of employment disputes across the Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia regions, involving the US Postal Service.
- Mediated a closely held architectural firm whereby two partners were in dispute and a transfer of assets was the appropriate settlement solution. This matter settled successfully.
Professional I graduated Antioch School of Law with concentrated advanced studies in domestic relations law. I have completed advanced Master’s of Law coursework at George Washington University in contract law and completed studies at Harvard Law School in negotiation and mediation. I have completed hundreds of hours in professional development training in mediation and arbitration. I am a Maryland Conflict Dispute Resolution certified mediator and have served as a certified mediator for all the Circuit Courts for the State of Maryland.
Teaching and Training
I have served as an adjunct professor at George Washington University Law School, the Catholic University Law School and the University of Baltimore Law School in the area of dispute resolution, mediation and mediator confidentiality. I have trained hundreds of government and corporate employees on the nuts and bolts of interest (principle) based negotiation. I am a frequent presenter at the American Bar Association and the Maryland State Bar Association dispute resolution programs. I am a past president of Adat Shalom Re constructionist Congregation and served on their board of directors for 16 years. I also served on the board of the Re constructionist Rabbinical College (formerly JRF), and the board of directors for Georgetown Law School’s Street Law Program. When I am not resolving disputes, I enjoy yoga, spinning, golf, and poker. I am married to Jody Shapiro and have two adult children, Arielle and Solly.